Imagine you’re taking a walk; maybe you’re walking your dog. Suddenly, a skunk appears and before you know it, you’ve been sprayed with foul smelling skunk oil. You think, “Oh no! I don’t have any tomato juice at home! I can’t go to the store like this!” You don’t have to go to the store; this recipe is made from ingredients you probably already have at home:
- 1 quart hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp dish soap
- Mix well and use immediately. It’s unstable, so don’t put the mixture in a bottle and don’t store it!
- Put it on wherever the oil is; leave on for 5 to 10 minutes, and rinse off with water.
- Repeat treatment as needed.
You’re probably wondering, “Why a skunk oil smell recipe?” Because I wanted to get your attention — skunk oil smell is like sin, it stinks!
How do they compare?
- Skunks give warning signs; sin doesn’t.
- Skunks don’t want anything threatening near them; sin invites, allures, seduces, and deceives us into cozying up with it.
- Skunks will defend themselves; sin blinds so that one becomes defenseless against it.
- Skunk oil smell can be removed after several applications; no one can get rid of sin, regardless of how hard they try, how good they are, or how much good they do.
There is only one way to get rid of sin in our lives: JESUS CHRIST.
Every human who has ever existed, with the exception of Jesus Christ, has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
Why do we sin? It was passed down to us by Adam and Eve, who were created perfect, but then disobeyed God. This makes each one of us a sinner – someone who has missed perfection.
Those who continue in their sin are destined to die and be eternally separated from God. Romans 6:23 says that “…the wages of sin is death.”
If you’re thinking that it’s not fair nor our fault, that it was Adam and Eve who made us this way, think about this: Was it fair that God should make a way out of that destiny? Was it fair that God provided His Son as the only solution? Was it fair that One who was perfect and innocent give His own life for us? Why would He do it?
Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
That’s why the rest of Romans 6:23 says, “but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
That’s it. The only way to get rid of the stink of sin is to turn to Jesus Christ. But, I suppose, before one gets to the point of turning to Jesus Christ, one has to smell the stink of sin on them and want it removed. I invite you to join the rest of us who have had the stench of sin removed, by accepting the gift of God found in Jesus Christ. Ask Him for this gift of eternal life; He will not refuse you. He has promised that “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)